There are many occasions when you need to change video format to play or edit it. But, how to change the file type of a video? This post lists 6 video converters to help you change video format to MP4 or others.
Videos play a great role in our life. We watch videos to get some information, we share videos with friends and family, and we even can make money from YouTube. However, sometimes, we need to change video format to share videos, edit videos or play videos.
For example, I have created a movie in Windows Movie Maker on a PC but have to be able to play it on a mac for school. However, I was told that Quick Time doesn't recognize .wmv files. I had to change it to MP4 video.
I guess you are familiar with the below 3 questions.
NO 1. The file is played with distortions. You can reduce the size of your video file or change its code to fix this issue.
NO 2. Videos take up too much space. You can compress the video to make it fit your smartphone, tablet, or other devices.
NO 3. Your device doesn’t recognize the file type. You can try using a suitable tool to convert the file to a different format to open it.
In general, all of these questions can be finished as long as you turn to video converter.
Today, this post is going to show you step by step on how to change video format to MP4, MKV, AVI, MPG, WMV, MOV, and others in a few different ways by using free video converter. This tutorial works for Mac, Windows, and mobile device.
1. Format Factory (Win 10/8/7/Vista/XP)
Format Factory is an ad-supported freeware multimedia converter. This free video converter allows you to convert all types of video, audio and image files. It supports a lot of different video formats including MPG, MP4, MP3, AVI, 3GP, OGG, BMP, WMV and more.
Unfortunately, its installer includes potentially unwanted programs. For instance, when I was installing Format Factory, I was prompted to install Chromium Browser and the Search Manager extension for Chrome. And, its interface now seems out of date.
Steps on How to Change Video Format
Step 1. Open Format Factory.
Step 2. In the left panel, select a suitable video format from the Video and your video files will be converted to this specific format.
Step 3. Click the Add File button, and then select the media file which you will convert via this free video converter, and click the Open button. Next, if you like, you can select video quality and size from the Profile drop-down list.
Step 4. Click OK button and then select the Start button to start the media file conversion process.
When it comes to changing video format, MiniTool Movie Maker, free video converter, is recommended here.
With this tool, you don’t need any video editing expertise to easily change the file type of your video because it offers wizard-like interfaces. Besides, this free tool supports almost all video formats including WMV, MP4, AVI, MOV, F4V, and more.
Here, for instance, to convert video to MP4, you can follow the simple steps below.
Steps on How to Change Video Format to MP4
Step 1. Add Your Video File.
- Launch MiniTool Movie Maker and then tap the Full-Feature Mode to get its main interface.
- Click the Import Media Files
- Select the video file and click the Open
- This free video converter will load this video file.
- Drag this video file to the storyboard.
- Here, if you like, you can add subtitles to this video, you can add filters as well as animations to this video, and you can trim video to remove the unwanted frames from the start or end of a clip.
Step 2. Choose the Video Format.
Click the Export button and then choose a new video format like MP4.
Next, you are able to change video resolution, video name, and select a suitable place to store your video.
Step 3. Start Changing the Video Format
When all settings are ok, you are supposed to click the Export button again to start the conversion. The converting time depends on the computer's hardware and the file size of the video. Please wait patiently…
After the conversion is finished, you can click the Find Target option to watch your video.
In fact, in addition to change the file type of video, this simple and free video converter also can help you save videos for mobile devices.
Save Video for Mobile with MiniTool Movie Maker
As we know, mobile owners always encounter the problem of unsupported multimedia formats. To solve this issue, you need to know some information about video resolution, aspect ratio, video codecs, etc.
Fortunately, this free video converter, MiniTool Movie Maker, can help you save video for different mobile devices including iPhone, iPad, Nexus, Samsung Note 9, smartphones, Xbox One, PS4, Apple TV, Sony TV.
Steps on How to Change Video Format in Mobile
- You can import your Android video or iPhone video into MiniTool Movie Maker.
- Drag and drop the video file to the storyboard.
- Edit your video as you like.
- Select your device to export it.
MiniTool Movie Maker, free video converter, not only can easily change video format but also can help you save video for mobile devices. However, Mac OS X is not supported as of now.
Reading here, Mac users might know:
“How to change video format on Mac?”
3. iMovie (Mac)
I guess you might have heard of iMovie, an easy-to-use video editor for Apple devices. iMovie is known for its creativity and functionalities.
Note: Some Windows users also wish to have iMovie for Windows because of the software’s ability. Here, if you are one of them, you might be interested in this post iMovie for Windows - Top 6 iMovie Alternatives for PC 2019.
With iMovie, you are able to edit and watch videos easily. Of course, you can convert some video formats to MP4.
Steps on How to Change Video Format on Mac
Step 1. Open iMovie.
Step 2. Import your files.
Step 3. Click the New button to create a video. Here, you have the following 2 options. You can choose a suitable one as you like.
- Movie: Combine videos, photos and music to make your own movie.
- Trailer: Follow a template to create a Hollywood-style movie trailer.
Step 4. Add video files to the storyboard. And, edit this video as you like.
Step 5. Click Share, and choose File from the menu that appears.
Step 6. Enter a title, description, and tag(s) for your video clip, and specify the format, resolution and quality.
Step 7. Click Next button, and select a place to store it.
Step 8. Click Save button to begin to convert video format to MP4.
Although iMovie can help change video format on Mac, this free video converter can be rather picky with its import formats. You can import the following video formats MPEG-4 (MP4), MPEG-2, AVCHD, MOV (QuickTime files), DV, or HDV (High Definition Video). If not, you need to convert them before importing.
Many users may eager to know how to change video format on Android/iPhone as we use phones every day. The following part will tell you how to change video format in mobile devices.
4. Video Converter (Android)
To change video format on Android, you can try using Video Converter Android.
This tool can help you convert to MP4 or H.264 or MPG from most commonly seen video formats while keeping original video quality.
It can reduce the video file size to send out through SMS etc.
Steps on How to Change Video Format on Android
- Open the converter app on your home screen.
- To browse and add MOV present on your device.
- Touch the refresh icon on the top to browse and add video file.
- Move to the Convert tab and select video format like MP 4 from the codec list.
- Click on the Start button to start the converting.
VLC media player, a free and open-source, portable, cross-platform media player, also can help you change video format.
How to Change Video Format to MP4 via VLC Media Player
Step 1. Open VLC media player.
Step 2. Click on Media button and then select the Convert/Save option.
Step 3. Click on the Add button to import the video file.
Step 4. Click on the Convert/Save button located at the bottom.
Step 5. You can select a preset profile by clicking on the selection button at Profile. Or, you can use the three buttons located next to the selection button to edit, delete or create new profiles.
Step 6. Select Browse next to the Destination file.
Step 7. Select a location to store the new video file, and enter a name for the video file ending with the file extension, for instance, MP4 video.
Step 8. Click on the Save button and then select the Start button to start converting the video.
6. Online Video Converter
Last but not least, I want to share video convert online with you as some users want to change video format without installing any software.
OnlineVideoConverter.com (OVC) is a free online media conversion web application which is fully compatible with all modern browsers. This free video converter online tool allows you to convert any video link or file quickly and easily from one format to another without installing any software.
OVC offers high quality and super fast conversions to many audio formats including audio .mp3, .aac, .ogg, .wma, .m4a, .flac, .wav as well as video formats including .mp4, .avi, .mpg, .mov, .wmv, .flv, .m4v, .webm, .mkv, and .3gp.
OVC supports a wide range of online video portals including YouTube, Dailymotion and Vimeo.
Now, How Can I Change Video Format Online?
The steps are:
- Choose a video file that you want to convert from your device or cloud storage, or enter the link of the video.
- Choose the format you want to convert to from the dropdown menu.
- Click on More Settings to customize your settings such as video resolution.
- Click Start to start the conversion process.
Start Changing Video Format
Hopefully, you know how to change video format now. The six video converters we have discussed can help you change video format to MP4, and others.
Now, choose your favorite video converter to change the file type of video. If you have any questions, please leave your comments below. We will solve it as soon as possible.
Should you have any other suggestions on how to change video format to MP4, please share them with us. Thanks in advance!
- Download, install, and launch the MP4 files converter. Download Movavi Video Converter. ...
- Click Add Media and choose Add Video. Select the files for conversion and hit Open.
- Choose the appropriate output format.
- Click Convert.
You can also do it by right-clicking on the unopened file and clicking on the “Rename” option. Simply change the extension to whatever file format you want and your computer will do the conversion work for you.What do I do if my video format is not supported? ›
If your media player is not compatible with your file format and does not wish to change the media player, another possible solution is to change the file format. Converting the file format into one that is more compatible and supported by the media player should effectively play your file.How can I update any video converter? ›
You will get update remind message when there is a new version available. You can visit our website www.any-video-converter.com/download/ and click Download button to download and install the latest version. If you install the latest version to the location you installed last time, you don't have to register again.What is the safest free file converter? ›
- Online-Convert.com. Before you even try your first file conversion on Online-Convert.com, you can quickly check for supported file types. ...
- ConvertFiles. ...
- Convertio. ...
- Zamzar. ...
- FileZigZag. ...
- FreeFileConvert. ...
- HandBrake. ...
- MacX Video Converter Pro. ...
- RZ DVD Creator. ...
- AnyMP4 DVD Creator. ...
- AVS Video Converter. Platform: Desktop. ...
- Wondershare UniConverter. Platform: Desktop. ...
- Sothink Movie DVD Maker. Platform: Desktop. ...
- DVDVideoSoft Free Video to DVD Converter. Platform: Desktop.
- Install the MPEG converter. Download this video converter and install it on your computer. ...
- Add a video file for conversion. Open the MPEG file converter. ...
- Choose MPEG as the output format and adjust settings. ...
- Convert your file from MP4 to MPEG and save it.
- Install Freemake MPEG2 Converter. Download free MP2 converter. ...
- Add videos to encode to MPEG2. Select the media to transform to MP2. ...
- Select MPEG format. Choose “to MPEG”. ...
- Set final movie parameters. Choose a preset. ...
- Convert video to MPEG-2. Convert to MPEG2.
- Select. Upload a video from your device. Videos can be up to 1 hour long.
- Convert. Your video will automatically convert. Trim, mute, and preview your clip if you need to.
- Download. Instantly download your video as an MP4.
- Download, install, and run the MP4 file converter. Download Movavi Video Converter.
- Hit Add Media and select Add Video. Import the file you want to convert.
- Open the Video tab and select MP4, then choose the desired preset.
- Click Convert to launch the process.
- MP4. Most digital devices and platforms support MP4, rendering it the most universal video format around. ...
- MOV. Developed by Apple, MOV is the video format specifically designed for QuickTime Player. ...
- WMV. ...
- FLV. ...
- AVI. ...
To set the default Save file format
In the Settings dialog box, click the Files icon. In the Files Settings dialog box, click the Document tab. Choose a file format from the “Default save file format” list box.
- Character or Font Formatting.
- Paragraph Formatting.
- Document or Page Formatting.
- Section Formatting.
- Go to clipchamp.com. Sign up for free using your Google, Facebook or email account.
- Select your video. Select or drag and drop the video you want to convert into the Convert my videos box.
- Select your preferred output format. ...
- Save and/or upload the video.
This issue may occur for one or more of the following reasons: One or more Windows Media Player files are missing or damaged. You are trying to play a media file that has a file format that Windows Media Player does not support.What does it mean when it says unsupported format? ›
The unsupported file format error occurs when your Android device does not support the image file type. Usually, smartphones support BMP, GIF, JPEG, PNG, WebP, and HEIF image formats. If your file type is other than these, it may not open.Why any video converter is not working? ›
First, maybe you do not have enough RAM or a hard disc, and when you try to re-install, it fails. The other possible reason why your video converter has crashed or has failed to convert videos is due to a lack of supported output file formats.What is the best free video converter for Android? ›
- 1 Video Converter by VidSoftLab.
- 2 Media Converter.
- 3 Video Format Factory.
- 4 Kapwing.
- 5 Video Converter MP4, 3GP, MKV Cutter Trimmer.
- 6 Video Converter Android.
- 7 Video Converter.
- 8 Full Video Converter.
- Launch VideoProc Converter on your computer and choose "Video" to open its video conversion panel.
- Click "+Video" to import one or multiple video files to VideoProc Converter. ...
- Click "Target Format" > "HD Video" > "AVC HD Video" > "Done".
Any Video Converter is a really easy to use free video converter—just choose your source file and output format and go. If you need them, there are lots of advanced options too like batch conversion, file merging, and frame cropping.
While convenient, online file converters are risky. Their usage could predispose you to issues around safety, privacy, quality, and limitations on the size of the file you can upload.What is the best file converter app? ›
- PDF Converter. 2 Images. Close. ...
- File Converter. 2 Images. Close. ...
- Fast PDF Converter. 2 Images. Close. ...
- Media Converter Pro. 2 Images. Close. ...
- File Commander. 2 Images. Close. ...
- Batch Image Converter. 2 Images. Close.
Both AVI and MP4 are video wrapper formats, but AVI uses the DivX codec while MP4 works with the MPEG-4 AVC/H. 264 codec. This implies that AVI has better quality compared to its MP4 counterpart.How do I change the format of a video offline? ›
- Add the videos using the tool button.
- Choose MPEG-4 in the Convert-to.
- Select MPEG-4 1080p as the preset.
- Click on options to show more tabs.
- Go to video tab.
- Enter 4500 as the video bitrate (units is 2500kbps).
VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files, and various streaming protocols.How do I convert Windows Media Player to MP4 for free? ›
- Download, install, and launch the free WMV-to-MP4 converter.
- Go to Media and select Convert / Save.
- Hit the Add button and choose the files for conversion. ...
- In the Profile drop-down list, select Video – H. ...
- Click Browse and select the output folder.
- Hit Start.
- Adobe Reader DC. 22.002.20191. 3.9. ...
- Format Factory. 126.96.36.199. (24929 votes) ...
- PDF To Word Converter Free. 4.0. 3.3. ...
- HandBrake. 1.5.1. 3.9. ...
- Adobe PDF Converter. 5.5.1. (54 votes) ...
- PDF to JPG converter. 21.0. 3.9. ...
- File Converter. 1.2.3. 3.8. ...
- Free Video To Audio Converter. 9.4. 3.9.
- Upload a file. Upload the MP4 file you wish to convert. ...
- Convert your video. Choose MPEG as the output format, by selecting from the dropdown list of file types. ...
- Download (& Edit) your video. Hit the 'Download File' button to save your newly converted GIF file.
- Upload video. Select or drag&drop MPEG video to convert it to the MOV format from your computer, iPhone or Android. ...
- Convert the file. Now your video is uploaded and you can start the MPEG to MOV conversion. ...
- Adjust your video. ...
- Download the video.
MPEG, or Moving Picture Experts Group, files are a type of highly compressed video file. Using either MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 compression, MPEG files only store changes between frames, not the individual frames themselves. This minimizes the required storage space.
MP4 is a video file format, whereas MPEG is a codec used in different video formats. That's why we cannot draw an exact comparison between them, as both file formats have specific uses. MP4 is widely used to generate high-quality videos that can be streamed on mobile phones, computers, and over the internet.How do I convert MPEG to MP4 app? ›
How to Convert MPEG to MP4 with Prism Video Converter Software
- Download Prism Video Converter Software. Download Prism Video Converter Software. ...
- Import MPEG Files into the Program. ...
- Choose an Output Folder. ...
- Set the Output Format. ...
- Convert MPEG to MP4.
MP4 is one of the top video formats in the industry. It can use the H. 264 video compression codec, which allows for good compression while retaining the high quality of the source video. Since the codec and the format are free for everyone, almost any device and website can use and/or play MP4 files.How do I convert large MOV to MP4 for free? ›
Free MOV-to-MP4 converter from Movavi
- Download and install the program. ...
- Add your files to the program. ...
- Set the target format. ...
- Adjust additional settings (optional) ...
- Save MOV as MP4.
Method 1: Use VLC Media Player to Convert Videos
Follow the given instructions to convert your MP4 files to other formats using VLC media player. Launch VLC, go to the Menu bar and click Media >> Convert/Save. Click the Add button to locate the files you wish to convert. Select the videos and click Open.
VEED's MP4 to MOV converter is completely free to use. You don't even need to sign up or create an account. Just upload your video, select MP4 and MOV as the video formats, and download your video! The MOV file extension is Apple's proprietary format for use on its native QuickTime Player.Is an MP4 a video file? ›
An MP4 is a common “container format” for video files that allows you to store a lot of video and audio information in a smaller file size. If you edit or even play videos on your CPU, chances are you've come across . MP4 video files.What video format is best to download? ›
MP4. MP4 is one of the most popular types of video formats out there because it's a universally compatible format. As a result, you can use MP4 files on iTunes, Apple, and Windows. Another significant advantage of using an MP4 is that MP4s have smaller file sizes but still maintain a high video and audio quality.Which format should I save my video? ›
MP4. MP4 files are the international standard format for audio-visual content, most universal video format. MP4 files are created under the ISO/IEC 14496-12:2001 standard by the ISO/IEC and Motion Picture Experts Group (MPEG). The files in MP4 formats can store audio files, video files, still images, and text.Which format is best for video for Android? ›
The default video player in Android phones typically supports these file formats:
- H. 263.
- H. 264 AVC.
- MPEG-4 SP.
It's easy to convert MOV files to MP4 files with an online conversion tool like Zamzar. Simply upload your MOV video to Zamzar's website, select MP4, then 'Convert Now', and then 'Download'. There are some other ways to convert MOV to MP4, such as with the VLC media player or with iMovie.How do I convert a video to MP4 format? ›
- Download, install, and run the MP4 file converter. Download Movavi Video Converter.
- Hit Add Media and select Add Video. ...
- Open the Video tab and select MP4, then choose the desired preset.
- Click Convert to launch the process.
- Choose "Convert/Stream" in Media on the toolbar.
- Add your file and choose "Convert" on the "Convert/Save" option, and next, change the profile to 720 devices.
- Check the display on the video codec to ensure the 720p is applied.
- Wondershare Free Video Converter. The free version of the Wondershare UniConverter is also available that facilitates quality video to JPG conversion. ...
- DVDVideoSoft Free Video to JPG Converter. ...
- VLC Media Player. ...
Because MP4 is a subset of the QuickTime standard, you can change a MOV file to a MP4 format by simply changing the extension.How do I change the format of a MOV file? ›
- Launch CloudConvert's MOV to MP4 converter, click the “Select File” button, and upload your MOV video.
- Now click “Convert” to start converting the MOV video to MP4.
- Once done, click the green button that says “Download” to download your video in MP4 format.
- Wondershare UniConverter: Best video converter overall. ...
- DivX Converter: Most affordable converter. ...
- Freemake Video Converter: Best free option. ...
- Movavi Video Converter: Best for those who need editing functions.
- Any Video Converter.
- Freemake Video Converter.
- Format Factory.
- Wondershare Free Video Converter.
- Totally Free Converter.
- Quick Media Converter.
To upscale 720p to 1080p, you can use Wondershare Uniconverter, and you do not need the Pro version to do it. Le´s see step by step how to do it in a few clicks. After pressing “Add Files”, you will be prompted to your computer folders where you will simply select the files you want to convert.Can we convert 360p to 1080p? ›
Upload a video you want to convert to FlexClip Free Video Converter. Set your desired video resolution (from 360p to 1080p), format, and quality level. Click the Start button, wait for a moment, and download the result.
Upload any type of video and it will generate a list of JPG (JPEG) images. Upload your video, select size and frames per second, choose the part of the video you want to convert, and click "Convert to JPG!" button. The tool will display a sequence of JPG images and allow you to download them in a zip archive.