UNDERSTANDING THE VARIOUS ACLS ALGORITHMS IS OFTEN A HUGE CHALLENGE for many healthcare professionals and that is why committing the algorithms to memory is highly recommended.
This blog post will highlight some tips on how to memorize ACLS algorithms:
1. The Use of Mnemonics
ACLS guidelines and algorithms are very difficult to remember but the use of mnemonics is a proven and effective method in aiding the memorization of important algorithms and guidelines.
Some of the most common mnemonics that are normally used by ACLS certification candidates include note organization mnemonics, expressions, models, words, music, names, images, rhymes, connection and spelling mnemonics and flashcards. Here is an example of a Mnemonic that is used for ACLS.
Every Little Boy Must Pray
2. Practical Handling of Scenarios
The best way to remember ACLS algorithms is by using the material you have studied in class to handle practical ACLS scenarios. It is advisable to use half of your study time to physically play out scenarios and go through the motions. Your friends and family members can help you do your ACLS practice by pretending to be victims of cardiac arrest problems as you attend to them.
Play the role of a healthcare provider and respond to scenarios by recalling ACLS algorithms. It is possible to memorize all ACLS algorithms and guidelines within a very short period of time by using this approach. Practice makes perfect!
3. The Link System
This strategy involves the use of sight, imagination symbolism, and touch to memorize ACLS algorithms. ACLS candidates can remember ACLS algorithms easily by linking an intense conception to ACLS algorithms. The link system is successful when the algorithms are turned into a list, then turned into visual images, which code information together. Here is an example of how the link system can help you memorize ACLS algorithms.
- I saw an EPic superhero movie yesterday.
- The villain was aLIve and ready to fight.
- The superhero BRiefly got ready to fight back.
- The villain was MAsked and won the fight.
- The villain is still on the PRowl.
If you link the vivid images together by using imagination, it is easy to correspond the key words with the algorithms.
Memorizing ACLS algorithms is an essential and often difficult obstacle to overcome with advanced certification. However, by using proper memorization techniques, the process is simplified for success. By using mnemonics, the scenario method, and the link system, memorizing ACLS algorithms will be easy and exciting.
How to easily remember ACLS algorithms? ›
For example, one of the common methods used to remember the treatment options for the algorithm Bradycardia is All Tall Dogs Eat, , which translates to Atropine, Transcutaneous Pacing, Dopamine, and Epinephrine.What is the best way to learn ACLS? ›
Practice, Practice, Practice
Just like the rest of your medical training, there is no substitute for practice. Your ACLS certification course should include access to several practice exams. You can also find free practice tests online. The more practice tests you can take before the real thing, the better.
Performing the focused medical history can be simplified using the acronym SAMPLE. (S)Signs and symptoms; (A)Allergies; (M)Medications; (P)Past Illnesses; (L)Last Oral Intake; (E)Events Leading Up To Present Illness.Is the ACLS test hard? ›
Aside from my own experience, I often ask nurses what is was that made ACLS so difficult. Reasons why nurses find the ACLS course difficult include: The EKG Interpretation portion of Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support. Testing for a class that is hardly utilized in a specific field.What are the 5 H in ACLS? ›
Important causes include the 5 H's and 5 T's: Hypoxia, Hypovolemia, Hydrogen ions (acidosis), Hyper/Hypo-kalemia, Hypothermia; Tension pneumothorax, Tamponade-cardiac, Toxins, Thrombosis-coronary (MI), Thrombosis-pulmonary (PE).What is the fastest way to memorize exam notes? ›
- Try to understand the information first. Information that is organized and makes sense to you is easier to memorize. ...
- Link it. ...
- Sleep on it. ...
- Self-test. ...
- Use distributed practice. ...
- Write it out. ...
- Create meaningful groups. ...
- Use mnemonics.
- Review ACLS Case Scenarios. ...
- Memorize the ACLS Algorithms. ...
- Memorize Meds and Proper Dosages. ...
- Know Your H's and T's. ...
- Understand Basic Electrocardiography. ...
- Take Multiple Practice Exams. ...
- Skip the Hard Questions at First. ...
- Take Your Time.
A score of 80% and above is required to qualify the ACLS certification course. How many questions are safe to miss to get 80 % marks? If there are 50 questions you cannot miss more than 10 questions, unless the other 40 questions are correct. In case of 25 questions, you have to attend 20 correct questions.What is the passing rate for ACLS? ›
ACLS Written Exam The ACLS Provider exam is 50 multiple-choice questions, with a required passing score is 84%.How do you memorize algorithm codes? ›
- Take an algorithm. Understand how and why it works.
- Code the algorithm by yourself, don't rewrite other's code.
- Make it work. ...
- Look at some good implementation.
- Make your implementation better and shorter.
- Solve a bunch of problems involving the algorithm.
What are the 9 cases in ACLS? ›
- ACLS Cases Respiratory Arrest.
- Pulseless Ventricular Tachycardia and Ventricular Fibrillation.
- Pulseless Electrical Activity (PEA) & Asystole.
- Adult Cardiac Arrest Management Algorithm.
- Cardiac Arrest Management.
- Adult Immediate Post Cardiac Arrest Management Algorithm.
- Symptomatic Bradycardia-Slow Heart Rate.
You will receive 3 attempts for each course. After each attempt, you will receive an exam scoring report showing any incorrect answers. If you fail 3 times, you will need to retake the course.